Treskavec monastery information
- Treskavec monastery
- GPS coordinate Northing: 41° 24' 14.8" N
- GPS coordinate Easting: 21° 32' 16.84" E
- Prilep downtown distance: 6.6 km / 4.1 mi
- Custodian / Administrator
- Macedonian Orthodox Church
About Treskavec monastery
Visiting Treskavec monastery
- It's not easy to reach the monastery. There are two waysto get to teh monastery: by car (only 4WD) or on foot (about 10 km.).
The Treskavec monastery was built during the 13th century on the ruins of an ancient town destroyed in the 7 century.
The monastery complex consists of the church "Assumption of the Holy Mother", monastery inns and the dining room.
It is thought that the monastery was built in the 13th century and later in the 14th century, King Milutin renovated it. The monastery inventory includes: a Kosmitos cross and the choir, worked in encrustation.
The Treskavec monastery’s fasade is made from faded red bricks, with ornamental external niches and – with its uneven roof, it looks like it was created at the same time as the gnarly rocks surrounding it.
Before the monastery, there was an early Christian temple here and, according to the excavations, the region was inhabited since at least 2000 BC.
Photos nearby Treskavec monastery
travel2macedonia.com.mk doesn't own or control these photos.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.